Re: Can we call off this advertising before it gets out of hand?

From: Nigel Campbell <nigelc_at_cognos.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 03:42:06 GMT

In article <1993Oct12.081108.28443_at_usage.csd.unsw.OZ.AU> troy_at_cbme.unsw.EDU.AU (Troy Rollo) writes:
>From article <1993Oct11.204815.19242_at_rossinc.com>, by dgh_at_rossinc.com (David Harrington):
>> This is just my point. I don't see anything wrong w/ Joe from Borland
>> giving a few tips on a Borland product the net, just because he works for
>> Borland...
>
>Agreed - if somebody asks a question about a Borland product, somebody
>from Borland posting the answer would be acceptable and appropriate.

[ stuff deleted ]

>Certainly they weren't asking for money for their recommendations, but
>they were employees of 2 database access tools vendors attempting to get
>people reading the newsgroups to pay attention to their products.
>They were not, by any stretch of the imagination, giving tips on using their
>products.
>--

Anyone looking for solutions for a specific platform (s/w or h/w) should also check into the availability of an ISV product catalog that the vendor may publish. These catalogs tend to be very broad in terms of vertical markets/services. The usually only contain vendors who are current members of development/partner programs run by the vendor. Subject to the vendor/program the catalog may be in hardcopy or available on BBS or CD-ROM services. Perhaps the keepers of the FAQ lists could include details on how people could locate this information for the appropriate database/software tool.

--
Nigel Campbell		   Voice: (613) 738-1338 ext 3016    P.O. Box 9707
UNIX/RDBMS Marketing Mgr     FAX: (613) 738-0002             3755 Riverside Dr.