Re: Oracle 7 for OS/2

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 00:07:54 GMT

In article <1993Oct06.142528.10348_at_roadnet.com> rfm_at_roadnet.ups.com writes:

>Can anyone speak about the specifics of Oracle 7 for OS/2?
>
>Specifically, does anyone know if Oracle 7 for OS/2 is a 32 bit application?

Yes - it is a 32 bit application. Therefore it does not support OS/2 1.x

>Does anyone have any data comparing the performance of Oracle under OS/2 versus
>Netware NLM?

I would always assume that the Netware database server would perform better than the OS/2 database server since NLM's run in Ring 0 of the CPU. On the other hand OS/2 does not allow application programs to run in Ring 0 so there would be a slight performance penalty as a tradeoff for a better system integrity.

For actual numbers on Oracle7 for Netware look at the comparison of all PC based client/server databases in the October 12th issue of PC Magazine. They also chose Oracle7 for Netware over the other PC based Oracle7 servers for this comparison. Apparently [ and obviously (-: IMO ] it blew everything else clean out of the water.

>Thanks in Advance

You are entirely welcome

Shiraz (and you know I'm speaking for myself)

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Desktop Tools Group -- Worldwide Technical Support -- 3OP11