SyBase Release 10 vs. Oracle 7

From: James J. Yorton <yorton_at_bison.mot.com>
Date: 12 Oct 1993 19:11:40 GMT

[ Note the Newsgroups line ]

We are currently working on a project where we are contemplating using Sybase 10 or Oracle 7. I'm looking to find out what experiences people have had with the two products, other than cost.

(If this has already been discussed or there is an FAQ, my newsreader must have pitched the articles, 'cause I looked ...)

We want to develop tools using a client-server architecture and our platform is a mixture of Sparcs, Motorola MPC's, and yes, a few Sun 3's.

I'm not biased one way or the other, but I've spoken with people here who have indicated that Sybase is more of a leader in this area, and Oracle (and others) are following along.

Here's a few things I've picked up when comparing Sybase Release 10 versus Oracle 7. Correct me if I'm wrong:

  • Sybase has one server process; Oracle has several to do the same thing
  • Both support C++
  • You must "bind" variables in SyBase; Oracle you do not
  • Sybase supports multiple Open Clients; Oracle does not
  • Both allow you to connect/talk to other, foreign DB's (Ingres,Informix, etc.)
  • Both support stored procedures
  • Both support cursors
  • Sybase has "reflection servers", in case you lose data; Oracle does not

So from a features standpoint, they appear to be almost equal. So now I'm turning to past experiences. Which is easier to work with in the areas of ... Stored procedures? SQL*Net vs. Open Client? C++ Support and Pre-compilers? Customer service assistance? Installation? Indexing? Platforms? How often do releases/upgrades occur? etc...

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks. (Email preferred.)

Jim Yorton                    | Telephone:  +1 708-632-6695
Motorola Inc.                 |
General Systems Sector        | Internet:   yorton_at_rtsg.mot.com
Cellular Infrastructure Group | UUCP:       ...!uunet!motcid!yorton
Arlington Heights, IL USA | Received on Tue Oct 12 1993 - 20:11:40 CET

Original text of this message