Re: Piping data out of PL/SQL ?

From: Vipin Gokhale <vgokhale_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Oct 1993 20:24:21 GMT

--
In article <1993Oct8.212634.15748_at_pyra.co.uk>, graeme_at_pyra.co.uk  (Graeme Sargent) writes:

>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>From: graeme_at_pyra.co.uk (Graeme Sargent)
>Subject: Re: Piping data out of PL/SQL ?
>
>In <MLOENNRO.93Oct8005938_at_wrpyr4.us.oracle.com> mloennro_at_us.oracle.com (Magnus Lonnroth) writes:
>
>>If you want to...

>>Write back to the client application (sqlplus, sqlforms, etc),
>>please review the DBMS_OUTPUT package.

>>Pipe output to any client application (even on a different node),
>>please review the DBMS_PIPE package.

>>Pipe output to multiple client applications,
>>please review the DBMS_ALERT package.

>>Send an Oracle*Mail message,
>>please review the DBMS_MAIL package.
>
>But what about:
>
>Pipe output to any host process on any node (tricky, I'll grant you),
>please review ???
>
>Pipe output to any host process local to server-side,
>please review ???
>
>Pipe output to any host process local to client-side, (surely the most
> common reqt of the eight!?)
>please review ???
>
>Pipe output from server to any host process client-side, (quite tricky
> also, DBMS-pipes would cut the mustard here if we had #7)
>please review ???

By ANY process, do you mean even those who do not express any explicit "interest" in receiving messages from Oracle ? The packages mentioned above provide primitives to implement what you're looking for. Given the diverse use one can put these things to, my preference would be to let users create their own application around these primitives.