OCI slowness

From: David Campbell <dave_at_mizar.csis.dit.csiro.au>
Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1993 07:54:45 GMT

I am experiencing some problems with Oracle's OCI C-call interface and Oracle 7.0.12.

Our database has a "title" table, say like this:

        SQL> describe title;
         Name                            Null?    Type
         ------------------------------- -------- ----
         TITLPREF                                 VARCHAR2(2)
         TITLEVOL                                 VARCHAR2(4)
         TITLFOL                                  VARCHAR2(4)

They are indexed by one non-unique index with three fields.

When I execute the following query using sqlplus, I get an instantaneous response:

        select titlpref, titlevol, titlfol from title
        where titlpref = 'CT'
        and titlevol like '123%'
        and titlfol like '45%'

When I code up the same query using OCI I get the same tuples returned, but the query takes about 3 minutes!!!! I think that for some strange reason, Oracle decides to perform a linear search of the entire table.

I've yet to determine whether the same occurs using embedded-SQL.

Can anybody offer any answers/solutions? Is this a bug fixed in a later release?

Thanks,
-- Dave Campbell

                                      '''
                                     (o o)

| Dave Campbell (dave_at_csis.dit.csiro.au) | |\ ____|\ |
| Phone: + 61 6 275 0944 Fax: + 61 6 257 1052 | |\___ /\ \ / / \ |
| CSIRO Division of Information Technology | | _ \ / \ \_/ / ____> |
| Centre for Spatial Information Systems | | |> > __ \ / \ \___ |
| CANBERRA ACT 2601 / \ | \/ \/ |
| AUSTRALIA \_.--._/ <- Canberra | Get right, or get left! |
| v | Heb 2:3 |