Re: Piping data out of PL/SQL ?

From: C. Derek Fields <derek_at_candyland.gamekeeper.bellcore.com>
Date: 11 Oct 93 19:49:25 GMT

In article <290gkt$76n_at_hsc.usc.edu>, rpinder_at_hsc.usc.edu (Rich Pinder) writes:
|> I'm trying to use the processing features of pl/sql code blocks, but
|> I want to output the results either to stdout or (more desirably) to
|> a Unix pipe. The examples in the manuals seem to show only DML
|> statements - the results of the if/else or while constructs are used
|> in update, insert or delete statements.
|>
|> I'd rather not create temporary tables to hold output, especially
|> when the end goal is to get data in either unix files, or piped to
|> formatting scripts and then out to the printer......
|> Rich Pinder
|> USC School of Medicine
|> (213) 342-1640

Actually, the documentation is pretty specific that you can only do DML to a temporary table and then output that table outside the PL/SQL block. This has long been recognized as a deficiency of PL/SQL.

Derek Fields
(derek_at_gamekeeper.bellcore.com) Received on Mon Oct 11 1993 - 20:49:25 CET

Original text of this message