Re: orphan shadow tasks

From: Jonathan Lemon <jlemon_at_netcom.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1993 04:25:20 GMT

In article <2976jg$4o2_at_marlin.ssnet.com> jminnich_at_bugaboo.ssnet.com (Joe Minnich) writes:
>From a dos client if a user reboots his pc while connected
>to the server the host shadow task does not die off. This
>causes some serious problems when you have 75-100 people
>connected to an application and someone does the 3 finger
>salute with resources locked - naturally they remain locked.
>This can propogate into a big problem very quickly.
>
>Has anyone run into this problem and licked it ? Would be real
>interested in hearing about others experience with this.

We just had oracle support onsite for 3 days. Apparently, if someone "Control-/"'s out of a form, it leaves a "shadow" process. I'd guess a PC rebooting would cause the same effect.

(This is on a Sequent Symmetry, Oracle 7, Forms 3.0)

Recommendation was: "Don't 'Control-/'". (*sigh*) - tell that to your users. Our workaround is a cron script that goes on a search and destroy mission for all "oracle<database>" processes with a ppid of 1.

--
Jonathan