orphan shadow tasks

From: Joe Minnich <jminnich_at_bugaboo.ssnet.com>
Date: 9 Oct 1993 20:23:12 GMT

I am experiencing a very frustrating problem with a Oracle application running on the following platform:

  NCR 3550 svr4
  Oracle 6
  SQLMENU 5.0, SQLFORM 3.0
  MS-DOS clients via starlan and tcp/ip

From a dos client if a user reboots his pc while connected to the server the host shadow task does not die off. This causes some serious problems when you have 75-100 people connected to an application and someone does the 3 finger salute with resources locked - naturally they remain locked. This can propogate into a big problem very quickly.

A oracle support analyst recently told me that this problem is a known problem and has been reporting on the vax/vms platform in addition to various unix platforms. Right now "we rely on the underlying network layer to handle to cleanup of the shadow tasks for this type of situation. Version 2.0 of sqlnet is going to address this problem". Thats not helping us right now though !

Has anyone run into this problem and licked it ? Would be real interested in hearing about others experience with this.

joseph r minnich	jminnich_at_bugaboo.ssnet.com
724 millcreek lane	home: (302)322-6244
bear delaware 19701	work: (302)368-8982