Re: Compressing oracle *.dbf files / Dangerous?

From: J.Plewe <plewe_at_dl.mpi-dortmund.mpg.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1993 08:35:53 GMT

Esa Karell (karell_at_cs.Helsinki.FI) wrote:
: An Oracle rep told me that they strongly advise
: against compressing oracle's db files. I've used
: gtar with -Z (tar + compress) and never had any problems
: when restored from a backup tape. I looked at db files
: (aix, oracle 6.0.36) and none of them looked strange (e.g. sparse).
: Pls, tell if there's more to it than what I know.
: --

If you do not try to get a compressed copy of your database files while the database is RUNNING, I cannot see any objectives against compressing database files.

  • Joerg Plewe