Re: Oracle TAR options

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlog.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 93 14:57:46 GMT

In article <ds1i4300002_at_novalink.com> rmanieri_at_novalink.com (Robert L. Manieri) writes:
>One way to get a better response from Oracle Support is to use the
>OnLine Support system or OLS. Everybody who has support with a VALID CSI
>number has a user id on the system. In fact your CSI number is your user
>ID. To find out what your password is call support at 415-506-1500 and
>ask them what the OLS password is for your CSI. Once they give you the
>password you can dial n, the folks in support can send you docs on how
>to use OLS.

My oracle rep once told me that ols was actuall slower for most calls because the system is set up to give priority to customers "On the Phone". The idea was that you can generally get support to help you while you are talking to them but when you get put in the Queue you get to sit around getting bumped further back by every new phone call.

This was a while ago and your mileage may vary but I have found it to be generally true.

OLS is however increadably valuable in passing detailed information on to the next support tier. I just love it when the use the standard line "Send us the user dump file" and I can tell them that it is already in the text of the tar. Really freaks them out.

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker Hughes Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com