Cranking up my Oracle server

From: Brian Court <bac_at_netcom.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Oct 1993 17:52:18 GMT

I'm setting up an Oracle 7 server on an IBM RS/6000 model 580. The application to run on this server needs to have very high performance under heavy load (this is for a management demo, and they're principally going to be looking at response time). The 580 is standard from IBM: 64MB memory, 2.5GB SCSI drive.

I've been authorized to spend a few thousand dollars on upgrades to this machine to ensure that it will perform well when the time comes to put the application on it. Buying a new machine isn't an option, but I can buy additional memory, high-performance disk, etc. However, I don't know much about Oracle, and I don't know where my money is best spent. Btw, I don't have Oracle or the application on the machine yet, so I can't take any useful measurements; additionally, I am willing to spend money on hardware without knowing for sure that I'm addressing the bottlenecks, as I have other RS/6000s and I can always transfer the extra hardware to them once the demo is done.

I need to make some recommendations fairly soon. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Brian Received on Tue Oct 05 1993 - 18:52:18 CET

Original text of this message