OCI programs launched by mail program ".forward" file

From: Mike Grapevine <grape_at_suned1.nswses.navy.mil>
Date: 5 Oct 93 15:55:01 GMT

Hi,

   I have developed an application which will load inventory data into an Oracle7 database using a C program which uses the Oracle Call Interface (OCI) to access the Oracle7 database. The inventory data is formated into an ASCII format, inserted into a mail message, and then sent out from remote sites and received at my node. The mail messages are received at my node by an account created for receiving this data, account "inventry". A script specified in ".forward" to be run when mail is received will validate the message as inventory data, extract the inventory data from the mail message, store the data in a file, and then launch my application to put the inventory data into the Oracle7 database. This entire process works fine in testing when I send the "inventry" account test data from my node, but when a remote site sends inventory data, the data is extracted from the mail message and stored in a file, but apparently my application is never executed. I suspect this to be a problem involving the real and effective user ids of a process that is executed in this fashion. Also we are allowing database access by authenticating the user account (using the OPS$oracleaccount method). Does this way of database access require that an OCI program set the user ids of a process so that the process looks like a real user to the Oracle7 database when access to that database is attempted ? I would like to discuss this with someone who has developed an OCI programm that is executed in a fashion similar to this.

--
        Michael D. Grapevine
        NSWC PHD

    Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not the Navy's.