Re: Oracle*NLM

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 4 Oct 93 14:51:53 GMT

ruizc_at_westminster.ac.uk (carlos ruiz) writes:

>Has anyone had experience of using Oracle 6/7 under Novell Netware.

     Look for the Netware/Oracle bundles coming soon.  You get a copy of
     Netware, Oracle 7, Oracle Office and a bunch of utilities all on
     one or two CD-ROMs.  Installation is integrated as well.

>I would appreciate any comments towards the pros & cons of the above said
>environment.

    We're using Oracle 6 under Netware 3.11 now. I like it a great deal.     I've had to install Oracle on about 5 different platforms and found     the Netware install to be the easiest so far. And, I'm by no     means a wiz at Netware.

>Things I'm lokking for are: what's needed (from Novell and Oracle), what's
>the recommended h/w configuration. Performance - Can good performance be
>achieve with say 30 users? and any other comments deemed relevant.

     With 30 users, you should be OK.  I've seen shops running with
      50 to 75 users with no problems.

     The problem is that the Database Server resides on the same machine
     as the file server.  If you are doing a great deal of file and
     print sharing on the server, get a second server.  Since the
     database runs on the same box, it needs some processor horsepower.

     We went with the following for about 12 users:

                80486 66 Mhz DX/2 processor
                32 Megs of RAM
                1.2 Gb hard disk
                etc.

     Oracle recommends 512K ram in the server for each additional user.
     I'd say more like 1 meg or a bit less.  For 30 users you'd probably
     want something like 48 megs of RAM to be on the safe side.

    Let me know if you need additional info.

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Mon Oct 04 1993 - 15:51:53 CET

Original text of this message