Re: What new Oracle product provides user friendly reports??

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 4 Oct 93 14:42:50 GMT

KS_at_ic.uva.nl (Karel Sprenger) writes:

>In article <Oct.2.13.24.28.1993.14974_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu> holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu (Richard D Holowczak) writes:

>[stuff deleted]
>> Also, the new tools (FOrms, Reports) are very resource hungry. Plan
>> on spending some cash for a powerful PC if this is the aim.

>Rich, could you be more specific about just how resource hungry the new "toys"
>are? So far I have only seen a glossy brochure which (almost by definition :-)
>doesn't say a word about resources. Forms 4 and Reports 2 look very
>impressive nevertheless (contrary to their predecessors IMHO).

>Regards,
>Karel

     Well, I just got back from IOUW in Orlando.  All of the people
     who were designing forms with Forms 4.0 had at least 20 megs of RAM.

     I heard some people say the minimum for just running the forms is
     something like 12 or 16 megs of RAM.  Oracle (and some folks) will
     probably tell you "Eight is enough".   This is simply not true.
     It could be for the "4.1" product, memory requirements might go
     down but I doubt it from what I've seen.

    Also look for about 100 megs of free disk space to install the product     as well.

     I'm not sure about Oracle*Reports. Probably similar requirements.

    I know these numbers seem shocking but they are in line with Oracle     tradition. Back in 1986, I was told I needed 3 or 4 megs of RAM     to run Oracle. Back then this was quite a bit I guess. So now     Oracle is keeping up with the times by staying one step ahead in terms     of resource requirements.

Just my $0.02

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Mon Oct 04 1993 - 15:42:50 CET

Original text of this message