Re: What new Oracle product provides user friendly reports??

From: Richard D Holowczak <holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu>
Date: 2 Oct 93 17:24:29 GMT

ad041_at_Freenet.carleton.ca (Allison Rothmel) writes:

>Hi,

>I've recently taken over an Oracle5 project that was abandoned (due to
>lack of funds) over a year ago. I've upgraded to Oracle6 on VMS, added a
>couple of features and gotten all of the reports to run in SQL. I still
>have to convert to use on a PC (but I expect no problem).

   On a stand alone PC ? or on some type of network ? Does more    than one person need to do data entry and reporting ? If so, then    just "moving to a PC" is not the whole story. If only one    user, then why use Oracle ?

>Anyway, the next stage involves documentation and a new way to design the
>reports, (i guess) 'cause this is where it starts getting foggy. I've been
>told a new Oracle product has just been released in the States and we should
>get it here in Canada soon. From what I gather it's supposed provide easier
>end use in Forms (is this Forms 4?) and it will generate 'fancier' reports,
>possibly supporting graphics!?

   The new products are Oracle Forms 4.0 and Oracle Reports 2.0. Each will    run in MS Windows and will be ported to various other operating    systems in the future. Forms 4.0 for Windows is available now.

   I would imagine Oracle Reports is what you are looking for if    all you need to do is reporting on existing data. BTW, how does data    get in there in the first place ?

>I believe it runs on Windows but I still don't know what I'm talking about.
>I've been checking this news.group for new product releases but haven't seen
>anything that looks right. Does this sound familiar to anybody?

   Once again, if multiple people need to access data, then you need to    start looking beyond a single PC running Oracle 6 for DOS or OS/2.

   Also, the new tools (FOrms, Reports) are very resource hungry. Plan    on spending some cash for a powerful PC if this is the aim.

>I'm ahead of schedule and will be needing to finalize the report format soon.
>Plus I can't write the documentation if I don't know what's running!
>Any information will be much appreciated.

>Thanks,

>Allison Rothmel

>-------------- Just jumping in to it blindly once again ------------------

>--

Rich Holowczak
Rutgers University
holowcza_at_andromeda.rutgers.edu Received on Sat Oct 02 1993 - 18:24:29 CET

Original text of this message