technical review of Oracle replication

From: Don Wright <scouse_at_bnr.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1993 19:08:36 GMT

I would like to use Oracle's implementation of replication as a yardstick by which to measure the technical merits of Ingres' implementation. I will, of course, be contacting the local Oracle sales representative but would like some dispassionate evaluation from other sources. Could anyone refer me to relevant articles in technical magazines, conference proceedings or ftp repositories. Scanning the FAQ and all the available articles of this news group turned up no reference to the subject.

If anyone making use of Oracle's replication would care to share their experiences, feel free. I am interested the following aspects:

  • Multiple target replication
  • Cascading replication
  • Horizontal and vertical partitioning
  • Transaction, time-based or manual triggers
  • Application performance impact
  • Replication to competing vendor's DBMS
  • Synchronous versus asynchronous updates
  • Concurrent local and remote update
  • Collision detection and resolution
  • Bilateral replication
  • Adminstration, configuration and monitoring
  • Synchronization following DB maintenance, network failure, etc.

Thanks in advance

         diw

Don Wright
Bell-Northern Research
email: scouse_at_bnr.ca Received on Thu Sep 30 1993 - 20:08:36 CET

Original text of this message