Novell-Oracle Server memo

From: Richard Roos <richard.roos_at_digitec.co.za>
Date: 28 Sep 93 21:15:00 GMT

In <CDtCoy.M3p#news.ssc.gov>, dba_matt_at_dbserv1.ssc.gov (Oracle Administration) wrote:

OA>I'm trying to increase the number of memory buffers
OA>(db_block_buffers) used in a Novell-Oracle Server instance.  My
OA>hardware is a Grid System (a 486 clone) with over 2 gigabytes of
OA>disk space and 48 megs. of memory.  I'm currently using 800 blocks
OA>(800 blocks x 4096 bytes/block = 3.125 megs.).  If I try to increase
OA>this parameter to 1000 or more, I receive system errors regarding
OA>writing to the disks and the disks dismount.  Sometimes I receive these
OA>errors at instance startup or later, while trying to access tables.

We are running ORACLE 6 on Netware 3.11 with 4 Gb of disk and 32 Mb of RAM without problems. However ORACLE 7.0.12 on a Netware 4.01 server with 4 Gb of disk and 64 Mb of RAM has been giving us various system abend errors related to non-present memory pages. ORACLE/NOVELL have not yet resolved this glitch.

What versions are you running ?

As an experiment we continuously increased db_block_buffers on ORACLE 7, and were unable to start the instance if the memory requirement for ORACLE exceeded the memory left over from Netware (Which is to be expected). We have run the ORACLE 6 server with an SGA size of up to 16 Mb and ORACLE 7 with an SGA of up to 32 Mb. We have not experienced the symptoms you describe.

Richard Roos
Information Systems Manager
Allianz Insurance of South Africa

richard.roos_at_digitec.co.za

---
. OLX 2.1 TD . Is there intelligent life on earth ?

----
- Digitec Online - 10 Nodes - Johannesburg - South Africa - +27-11-476-7136 -
-     _at_digitec.co.za - ILink - Weather - BASNet - RsaNet - Fidonet -