Re: ORACLE Auto Start On ALPHA Boot

From: Mike Jacobi; CDNSWC 3582; Vax System Manager <system_at_condor.navsses.navy.mil>
Date: 27 Sep 93 08:01:17 -0600

In article <1993Sep25.173946.118957_at_embl-heidelberg.de>, hazledine_at_embl-heidelberg.de writes:
> kag_at_icf.hrb.com (Kevin A. Glossner) writes:
>

>> I am attempting to startup ORACLE automatically on an APLHA upon bootup.
>> Upon boot, I get an error indicating that a non-ORACLE User (SYSTEM) cannot
>> perform an ORACLE DBA command (CONNECT INTERNAL).

> Under VAX/VMS, the VMS usernames used to issue SQL*DBA commands need the VMS
> rights id ORA_DBA. Could the absence of the rights id ORA_DBA from the SYSTEM
> username, or something similar, be the problem perhaps?

With ORACLE7 on VMS an account with a SYSTEM UIC (uic group <= MAXSYSGROUP) *CANNOT* perfrom DBA functions like database startup or shutdown. What I am doing to start ORACLE7 during the system boot is to have SYSTARTUP_VMS.COM submit a batch job that starts ORACLE7 under the ORACLE7 username.
--
Mike Jacobi
NAVSSES VAXCluster system manager

Disclaimer - I speak for myself.  No-one else.