Re: Is there such a tool in Oracle?

From: Tom Poindexter <tpoind_at_advtech.uswest.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 14:07:57 GMT

In article <1993Sep23.185739.17712_at_cc.gatech.edu> yongwei_at_cc.gatech.edu (Yongwei Yang) writes:
>I am new in Oracle. And I'd like to know that if there is a tool in Oracle
>that can use to browse and query the database and user-friendly.
>When I doing a query then I get the multiple (maybe none) matches.
>I look into the sqlforms. Alternatively is adding a front end GUI to sqlplus.
>Any Idea?

I've built an X11 version of SqlPlus, called Wosql. It doesn't do any of the column formatting of SqlPLus, but does give a reasonable GUI into Oracle. See below for a short description of Wosql.

Wosql is a sample program I include in Oratcl, which is an extension to Tool Command Language (TCL). Oratcl, Extended Tcl (TclX), and the base Tcl/Tk distributions are avaialable at:
harbor.ecn.purdue.edu in /pub/tcl/extensions and /pub/tcl/sprite-mirror

README.samples

Sample programs for Oratcl. These programs are based on TclX (Extended Tcl) executables `wishx' and `tcl' when compiled with Oratcl.

iud_maker       (wishx) not a conception inhibitor!  iud_maker builds simple
			insert,update,delete applications for a single table.
			choose a table, choose columns to appear in the
			search and detail portions, and viola' - instant app.
			the created application is controlled by 2 lists, and
			can easily be tweaked by hand for added functionality.

wosql		(wishx)	wosql is an X11 based SQL processor, complete with
			menu bars,  editable sql window, scrollable
			output, command history, PL/SQL variable binding,
			LONG column i/o, data dictionary access, and formatted
			column and table name pasting into the sql window.

monthly_pay.tcl (tcl)	monthly_pay.tcl demonstrates using multiple cursors
			and PL/SQL execution, not necessarily proper SQL code.
			Uses Oracle demo table SCOTT.EMP.

Tom Poindexter

--
Tom Poindexter     tpoind_at_advtech.uswest.com  or  tpoindex_at_nyx.cs.du.edu
"I hate when that happens"