Re: Q: SQL*Loader w/ variable fields

From: David Crowson <zdxc0d_at_amoco.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1993 04:04:27 CDT

In article 2442_at_KYnug.org, Neil Greene <neil_at_kynug.org> writes:
-->I have looked through the manual several times and I was just wondering...
-->
-->If, I have a variable length data file delimited by commas, optionally
-->enclosed by quotes, containing: field1, field2, field3, field4, field5,
-->...., fieldn-1, fieldn
-->
-->and
-->
-->I only want to read in field1, field2, field4, field5, ..., fieldn
-->
-->How can I get sql*load to skip the omitted fields in a variable length
-->data file delimited by commas?
-->
-->Can I simply enter "," in my sql*load file as place holders, skipping over
-->the data??
-
Yes you can have NULL values but only on fileds that are not mandatory e.g. if field 1,2,3 are mandatory then you can have data like

field1,field2,field3,,,,,,,,,,field26,,,,,,,, etc

---

David Crowson          | "Rude alert! Rude alert! An electrical fire
DBA (ORACLE V.4,5,6,7) | has knocked out my voice-recognition unicycle! Many
Amoco Exploration      | Wurlitzers are missing from my database! Abandon shop!
Ealing, London         | This is not a daffodil! Repeat: This is not a daffodil!"
dcrowson_at_amoco.com     | - Holly (Ship's computer on Red Dwarf)
"My views not Amoex's" |               =%^)