Re: Help w/starting rdbms with non-oracle account

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 24 Sep 1993 06:12:05 GMT

In comp.databases.oracle you write:

> Can anyone tell me what I have to do to allow a user to start up an
> oracle database. The user has dba database privledges and is assigned
> to the dba group in unix.
>
> Currently I can only start the database up by using the Oracle account.
> I am running on an HP 9000 using rdbms ver 7.0.13.

> I have read about the osdba and osoper roles but don't understand how
> to implement them.

> Can someone help ???

> \ /\ Aeronca Champion 7AC
> \ /__\ N3115E
>Scott \/an \rtsdalen "The Boonie Bouncer"
>PP-ASEL Internet: l697187_at_lmsc5.is.lmsc.lockheed.com
> Opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of
> Lockheed Missiles and Space Co., Inc. or its management.

Scott,

want kind of error is issued?

Since I don't know much, about your installation, I'll take a wild guess:

UNIX is not recognizing that your users are in the dba group because they have not "logged into it".

I know nothing about newgrp on HPUX but ...... On SunOS you login to a new group with the newgrp command.

Here is the man page header:

man newgrp ...

Reformatting page. Wait... done

NEWGRP(1)                USER COMMANDS                  NEWGRP(1)

NAME
     newgrp - log in to a new group

SYNOPSIS
     newgrp [ - ] [ group ]

DESCRIPTION
     newgrp changes a  user's  group  identification.   Only  the
     group-ID is changed; the user remains a member of all groups
     previously established  by  setgroups  (see  getgroups(2V)).
     The  user  remains  logged  in  and the current directory is
     unchanged, but the group-ID of newly-created files  will  be
     set  to the new effective group-ID (see open(2V)).  The user
     is always given a new shell, replacing  the  current  shell,
     regardless  of whether newgrp terminated successfully or due
     to an error condition (such as an unknown group).

     Exported  variables  retain  their  values  after   invoking
     newgrp;  however,  all unexported variables are either reset
--More--(31%)

maybe this will point you in the right direction. Let me know more.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu