Re: SunOS 4.1.2 - which ORACLE 7 to use if any ?????

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 24 Sep 1993 06:29:40 GMT

In comp.databases.oracle you write:

> We have a Sun system running SunOS 4.1.2 and are thinking of
>going to ORACLE 7.

> What seems to be a stable version of ORACLE 7 on this type of
>system if any? If not should we be waiting for a particular one?
>We'll be migrating a 6.0.33 database to the new ORACLE if that matters.

> Please email any answers/opinions.

> Thanks

> John

John,

I've had good luck with 7.0.12 on SunOS 4.1.2 with a sun product linked into the os called dbe.

here's the sun os banner:
SunOS Release 4.1.2_DBE (DBE.GENERIC) #3: Mon Jan 27 17:53:35 PST 1993

I'm in the process of writing a book about my experiences.

It will be out (beta-version) on Oct 4.

Let me know if you want a free beta-version of my book.

I've been able to demo all the Oracle7 features advertised: procedures, triggers, roles, profiles, cost-based analyzer, Multi threaded Server, referential integrity.

What I still need to test:
2-phase commit, distributed database, direct data load.

1 gripe:
Installing from the CD was no fun.

I liked the old install method:

	cd $ORACLE_HOME
	tar xvf /dev/rst0
	cd install
	./oracle.install

The old days are over but 7.0.12 on SunOS 4.1.2 is been solid for me.

-Dan

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu