Re: ODBC for Oracle/Sybase/CTree

From: John Casavant <casavant_at_elmer.orl.mmc.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 17:44:53 GMT

In article <CDs5qx.2nz_at_corwin.barra.com>, lalith_at_BARRA.COM (Lalith Subramanian) writes:
|> I need my application to be portable between databases _AND_ between
|> Windows/DOS and SunOS. I'm considering the possibility of using
|> Microsoft ODBC as the common link, to avoid having to write my own
|> intermediate layer.
|>
|> Can anyone answer the following questions( maybe stupid !) for me ?
|>
|> 1. In what form is ODBC available on Unix, _IF_ it is ?
|>
|> 2. Who are the vendors of ODBC-based APIs ? Any ph.#s
|> would be appreciated.
|>
|> 3. Is there anything in the structure of the ODBC API that
|> would make it too slow ? Any gotchas ? My databases
|> are small( < 10M, < 10 tables if RDBMS )

First ODBC is Microsoft's implementation of the SQL Access Group's Call Level Interface (CLI), and as far as I know is only available for Windows 3.X development for Windows 3.x clients.

Q+E software in N.C. _at_ 1-800-876-3101 sells an ODBC Pack provides drivers to connect to over 20 SQL databases. The actual ODBC API can be obtained from Microsoft. I don't know of any other place to obtain the current ODBC specification/API. You may want to use the anonymous ftp site ftp.uu.net and check in the "/vendor/microsoft/odbc-sdk" directory and get the odbc.exe file.

Not any slower than any other middleware implementation on a Windows 3.x client.:)

John Casavant Received on Thu Sep 23 1993 - 19:44:53 CEST

Original text of this message