Re: 2nd instance of oracle on same machine

From: JEFF CHAMBLEE <chamblej_at_author.gsfc.nasa.gov>
Date: 23 Sep 1993 13:41 -0500

In article <27sjrs$s3h_at_usenet.rpi.edu>, sassoj_at_aix02.ecs.rpi.edu (John J. Sasso Jr.) writes...
>Hello,
> Could someone explain
> to me how I would go about installing another instance of Oracle
> on the same machine (on the same partition)? Any help is
> appreciated!
>
> -- John

I hope my VMS notes are helpful.

Setting up a new instance

VMS 5-5.2, Oracle 7.0.12

The biggest surprise in setting up a new instance was that after I thought I was done, I got a "table does not exist" error. It took a long time to figure out that I had to run ORA_SQLMENU50:SETUPMNU.COM. Then you have to convert each MENU and grant access.

  1. Log in as Oracle7
  2. SET PROC /PRIV=ALL
  3. OBCDUSR7
  4. _at_[.V7.INSTALL]ORACLEINS
    • 3) "Reconfigure"
    • ENTER
    • ENTER
    • ENTER
    • 2) "Instance creation" ENTER
    • 1) "Create a new Instance"
    • ...
    • SID=TEST, DBNAME=TEST
    • Accept default options
  5. Edit SYLOGIN.COM to define ORAUSER.COM
  6. Add _at_STARTUP_EXCLUSIVE_<DBID>.COM to [ORACLE]OBCDORA7_STARTUP.COM (SYSSTARTUP calls this).
  7. Create rollback segments
  8. Create tablespaces
  9. Put system in ARCHIVELOG mode
  10. Create users
  11. Run ARCHIVE-DDL.COM to set up all ARCHIVE tables, roles, sequences, public synonyms
  12. To get rid of "Product user profile" message when you run SQLPLUS, run [.SQLPLUS.DEMO]PUPBLD
At this point Forms and SQLPLUS work fine, but SQLMENU needs a lot of special help.
13.	If you try to run ARCHIVE, you get "table does not exist" because
 	SQLMENU needs to have some tables set up.
	Run ORA_SQLMENU50:SETUPMNU.COM
14.	Go into SQLMENU and Grant Access
15.	Go into SQLMENU Security
	-	Create a role
	-	Add the user to that role
16.	Unlike Forms, you have to manually transfer over each SQLMENU.  To
 	do that:
	-	Setup logicals for old instance
	-	Run SQLMENU
	-	Open MENU
	-	Unload-- this creates an SQL script
	-	Repeat open & unload for each MENU
	-	Setup logicals for new instance
	-	Run SQLPLUS, run the SQL scripts created in the previous steps