Shadow Processes and Files

From: marianne.g.pittorino <gerette_at_cbnewsb.cb.att.com>
Date: 23 Sep 93 14:14:09 GMT

Does anyone know how many files an Oracle shadow process opens? I am running RDBMS 6.0.36.7.1 using an HP 9000/897 for my database server and a Pyramid for my host processor. I communicate using TCP/IP and SQL*Net version 1.2.7.6.1. My HP is configured for 1810 open files (system-wide) and 440 processes (system-wide). Our application (mostly daemons that run all day waiting for requests) produces about 215 shadow processes on the HP, but about 1780 open files! Of course, I get error messages on the console saying the file system table is full, then Oracle comes down because it can't open the database files. Is this number of open files normal? Is there any way to determine how many files a shadow process will open? I noticed that when the application is not busy, the ratio of open files to processes is about 4. When the application is busy, however, the ratio jumps to about 8!

If this helps, my tablespaces are on raw disk slices but my online and archived redo log files are flat files in a file system. The only processes running on the HP are Oracle-related; i.e., the application runs completely on the Pyramid so any application open files do not affect the HP.

Please help!
Thanks,
Marianne G. Pittorino
mpittorino_at_attmail.com Received on Thu Sep 23 1993 - 16:14:09 CEST

Original text of this message