Re: Terminate Users!!

From: Chris Little <littlec1_at_jaguar.uofs.edu>
Date: 23 Sep 93 13:29:07 GMT

In article <CDpD9M.8L0_at_hippo.ru.ac.za>, pcser1_at_ed.petech.ac.za writes:

|>In article <19930916143125.daren_at_firefly.ucs.mun.ca> daren_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca (Daren Janes) writes:
|>>Platform: SUN UNIX, ORACLE Version 6 DBMS.
|>>We have a need to terminate users that are connected to a database
|>>overnight. Is there a clean automatic way to accomplish this on
|>>our platform. Asking our users to logoff before they go home
|>>simply do not cut it!!
|>>All suggestions are welcome!
|>>----
|>
|>I am from Port Elizabeth Technikon South Africa. We are running
|>oracle on a hp 867 9000 box hp-ux 9. I alsow have the problem that at night
|>the users stay loged on when I want to do backup. What I do to stop
|>this is run " sqldba command=shutdown immediate" this kill's all oracle
|>process and I then start up the database as normal. As to kill the UNIX
|>process still running I am at present writing a script to kill all process
|>that are left running once the Database is taken down . I will let you have
|>a copy as soon as it's up to standerd. If you want it ?
|>pcser1_at_ed.petech.ac.za
|>>daren_at_morgan.ucs.mun.ca
|>>----
|>>---

Why go to the trouble of completely shutting down the database? On our VMS platform I have a script (originally written by David Sidwell - Oracle VMS World Wide Support) that selects the list of current Oracle user processes from V$PROCESS, places them in an OS script which kills them. Oracle Support has always advised me than anything other than a "shutdown normal" may have undesirable effects and should only be used in emergency situations.

I could translate this script for use on the UNIX platform, or send it to anyone who is interested. Let me know if you want it.

--
Chris Little, Programmer/DBA                    Computing & Data Services
                                                University of Scranton