ODBC for Oracle/Sybase/CTree

From: Lalith Subramanian <lalith_at_BARRA.COM>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 00:08:56 GMT

Hi,

I need my application to be portable between databases _AND_ between Windows/DOS and SunOS. I'm considering the possibility of using Microsoft ODBC as the common link, to avoid having to write my own intermediate layer.

Can anyone answer the following questions( maybe stupid !) for me ?

  1. In what form is ODBC available on Unix, _IF_ it is ?
  2. Who are the vendors of ODBC-based APIs ? Any ph.#s would be appreciated.
  3. Is there anything in the structure of the ODBC API that would make it too slow ? Any gotchas ? My databases are small( < 10M, < 10 tables if RDBMS )

Thanks,

Lalith

P.S: If adequate interest exists, I'll summarize to the net.

Lalith Subramanian              UUCP    :  ...!uupsi!barra!lalith
BARRA, Inc.                     Internet:  lalith_at_barra.com
Berkeley, CA                    Work    :  (510)-649-4242