Re: Oracle7 and OSF/1

From: Jim Kramer <kramer_at_ash.sps.mot.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1993 01:18:15 GMT

I just re-re-re-installed Oracle 7.0.12.2 on OSF/1 V1.3. I never had the server core dump but the installation was as buggy as a summer night on the Mississippi! And we (DEC was here with me) never found the problem -- just keep running the install program and you might luck out eventually.

The scoop I heard on Oracle 7.0.13 was that it's object size is down to about 450Mb (still no shared libs, though) and it WILL include a production release of Sql*Forms and Sql*Menu (though I can't imagine why we - the devlopment community - tolerate those things).

I had TREMENDOUS difficulty exporting my V6 DB and importing it into V7. And those guys at Oracle were ooooh soooo helpful (well, the Unix guys actually were pretty nice, the RDBMS guys were ALLLL JEEEERKS!)

You know, installing/maintaining Oracle products reminds me alot of the days when we booted from the front panel and needed ear protection in the computer room. I don't think there's really anything wrong with RDB as an idea but these "sophomore CS student" quality apps sure give it a bad name!

                                          Jim Kramer
                                          Motorola