Re: Why can't I get Oracle to work on OS/2 2.1?

From: Shiraz Kanga <skanga_at_us.oracle.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Sep 1993 00:44:47 GMT

In article <27kkga$e42_at_news.ysu.edu> ak730_at_yfn.ysu.edu (Brian C. Shensky) writes:

>I have been trying to get Oracle 6 for OS/2 to work under
>my machine running OS/2 2.1 for some time now. If I attempt
>to start the database under an OS/2 session under the WPS
>I continually get an "Unable to process operating system
>parameters" error (LCC-????? error which I cannot recall
>specifically). The only way I have been able to get the database
>up is by using CMD.EXE as the protected shell. Even then, I
>cannot get SQL*Forms 3 to work.
>
>What is the deal here? Does Oracle have a completely different
>version of their software for OS/2 2.1? The same software works
>fine under OS/2 1.3!
>
>Pleeeeeze, send me your comments. Thanks.
>
>-Brian

Brian:

IBM says that anything that works on OS/2 1.3 will work on OS/2 2.1, so if it does'nt work then you should be calling them :-) But seriously the versions of RDBMS for OS/2 1.x and 2.x are different. (On 1.x we use 16 bit and on 2.x we use 32 bit code) However the errors you have may not be related to this at all. The 16 bit database will start on OS/2 2.x also but it may work unreliably since it has not undergone regression testing and is unsupported on that OS. Without a specific error message I dont know what the problem is but I'd advise you to check all versions and see if they're in sync (esp. the support files) and if you're running in a supported configuration. Also look for syntax errors in configuration files like init.ora and config.ora. If my memory serves me right LCC errors indicate a failure to parse an init.ora parameter.

Note that tools for OS/2 2.x and 1.x are the same so there's no reason why Forms wont start. However you have provided insufficient info to determine what the problem really is.

regards

shiraz

--
Shiraz Kanga (skanga_at_oracle.com) Tel: (415)506-5412 Fax: (415)506-7822
Analyst -- Worldwide Technical Support (On Rotation to the CASE Group)