Re: What's the best machine?

From: David Allen <Dallen_at_alkham.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 1993 22:01:50 +0000

In article <CD4yF6.D5n_at_festival.ed.ac.uk> simon_at_castle.ed.ac.uk writes:

>Tommy Wareing (p0070621_at_oxford-brookes.ac.uk) wrote:
>: We're getting a new machine (hooray) to run our new database on (boo!)
>: and we'd like some guidance on the best hardware platform to go for.

We've been using a SEQUENT 450 with 256 Mb memory and 12 Gb (2 databases) with about 100 users on a WAN attached to a LAN, TCPIP, etc with very satisfactory results. Each database has > 450 tables!

The upgrade path is linear (symmetrical processing) -- it really is -- and I DON'T work for the company. The Sequent technical support is really OUTSTANDING -- I've had an engineer ring in from the States via a modem to fix a problem in the middle of the night (outside contracted hours in in the UK).

--
Dave