Re: ALTER SEQUENCE START WITH 1

From: <fgreene_at_hayes.com>
Date: 17 Sep 93 07:23:15 EDT

> All I want to do is have my data loading program (Pro*C) reset my
> sequence to 1 before loading a batch of data.
>
> SQLPLUS> HELP ALTER SEQUENCE says you can use START WITH but if you
> try it, you get "ORA-02283: cannot alter starting sequence number"

The purpose of the sequence generator is to reliably produce numbers over an extended time. What you need to do violates this basic purpose so, of course, it throws up on you. You need to develop an algorithm to produce you own unique numbereing system Received on Fri Sep 17 1993 - 13:23:15 CEST

Original text of this message