HP9000 <- Oracle -> HP3000 , Any Experiences?

From: Jim Alton <altonj_at_Operatns.mohawkc.on.ca>
Date: 15 Sep 1993 10:47:29 -0500

 We (the College) are considering the purchase of Oracle (with Financial package) to be placed on (probably) an HP9000 running HP/UX.

 Our current enviroment consists of an HP3000/960 with Allbase and Turbo Image. The development enviroment is Speedware which provides hooks/interfaces to many different rdbms including Oracle.

 It is imperitive that the applications on the 3000 can read/write to the Oracle tables on the 9000. The heavy users of the Financial package will log into the 9000 and the more casual users will access the Financial data from the 3000.

 The people from Oracle tell us that this is possible using sql*net and a number of supporting products.

 I would appreciate hearing from anyone who may have experience in this area. We are very concerned about making sure we purchase all the required pieces and avoiding any pitfalls or "gotcha's".

Thanks in advance,
Jim

James R. Alton
Mohawk College                        phone: (416) 575-2281
135 Fennell Ave. W.                     Fax: (416) 575-2302
Hamilton, Ont., Canada L8N 3T2        Email:altonj_at_operatns.mohawkc.on.ca