Re: Oracle7/Novell product set

From: Tim Hyland <hyland_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 1993 07:39:05 GMT

Hi Paul, you asked for a big gun at Oracle to respond. I'm probably as big as you'll find, as far as our NetWare product line goes. My comments are indented below.

>I would like to know specifically what product and versions of product
>ship with Oracle7 license for Novell 4.

	We currently support version 4.01 of NetWare (in addition to
	3.11 and 3.12) with Oracle7 Server for NetWare.  Oracle7
	Server for NetWare is a fully functioning Oracle7 RDBMS that
	supports all the features and functionality of every other
	Oracle7 Server (with the exception of the Multi-Threaded
	Server temporarily).  The Oracle7 Server for NetWare kit
	contains:

	  Oracle7 RDBMS v7.0 for NetWare
	  Utilities for NetWare (SQL*DBA, SQL*Loader, IMP, EXP)
	  SQL*Net SPX v1.1 for NetWare

	  SQL*Net SPX v1.1 for DOS, OS/2, and Windows
	  Database Utilities for DOS and OS/2 (same as above)

	Also available separately is SQL*Net TCP/IP v1.1 for NetWare.

>- Are there procedural and distributed incarnations of the database?

	The procedural option is included free of charge in all kits.
	We figured everyone would want the procedural option for use
	in the NetWare environment, so we included it automatically.
	The distributed option is available for an additional fee.

>- Does SQL*PLUS ship with this bundle, Pro*C, any tools, SQL*DBA Windows or
> PM versions?

	The only client-side tools included in the kit are the
	character-mode SQL*DBA, SQL*Loader, IMP, and EXP for DOS and
	OS/2.  For use with Windows these utilities must be run in a
	DOS compatability box.  SQL*DBA can be used for just about
	everything you would normally use SQL*Plus for.

	We do not include any precompilers or other tools (for clients
	or the NetWare server) in the kit, although Pro*C for DOS,
	OS/2, and Windows; and the CDE Tools for Windows can be
	purchased separately.  We have no support for Presentation
	Manger at this time.

>- Apparently SQL*Net version 1.1 ships with the product set. We are not
> very interested in this product rather version 2.0. Can a 'beta' version
> of 2.0 be used with the 'production' version Novell server?

	SQL*Net Version 1.1 was the only version of SQL*Net available
	for Netware when the Oracle7 Server product was released.  We
	are currently working on porting SQL*Net Version 2.0 to
	NetWare (along with DOS, OS/2, and Windows).  When a beta
	version of those drivers are available they will be fully
	supported with the existing production version of Oracle7
	Server for NetWare.

>- What protocol support ships with the bundle?

	IPX/SPX ships with the bundle, and TCP/IP is available
	separately for version 1.1 of SQL*Net.  Both of these SQL*Net
	protocols can be used concurrently with Oracle7 Server for
	NetWare.

	When SQL*Net V2.0 for NetWare is released as beta, it will
	support both IPX/SPX and TCP/IP, with support for APPC to
	follow shortly.

>Any futher comments are certainly welcome. Our Canadian Oracle sales rep
>has been unable to answer all of these questions.

	Feel free to contact me directly or to have your sales rep
	contact me for more information.

>I would appreciate some feedback, perhaps from some of the 'big guns' at
>Oracle. We are anxious to purchase!

        Thank you for your interest.

Tim Hyland
Senior Product Line Manger                Internet:
NetWare Product Line                      Business:  thyland_at_oracle.com
415.506.2857                              Personal:   hyland_at_netcom.com
No Disclaimer: This *is* the official word from Oracle Corp. Received on Wed Sep 15 1993 - 09:39:05 CEST

Original text of this message