REPORTWRITER QUESTION

From: Mary Susan Jones <msjones_at_eng.auburn.edu>
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 1993 00:47:42 GMT

Hi All,

   I have two questions for you.

  1. When you pass parameters to a report in order to run it, can you use those parameters in one of the queries? If so, how do you do it? I am wanting to pass these parameters from sqlforms.
  2. I am writing a report that is frustrating me. I have taken two approaches, each which has its good points and bad. Let me tell you what I have done and maybe you can give me a suggestion of how to coordinate these two.
       OBJECTIVE:  To see when a room is being occupied by classes to see whether
                   or not there are conflicts.   What I need is a time table that
                   has one or more lines for each room

       eg.
                  7:00    8:00    9:00   10:00   11:00

RM | CSE 100 | CSE 200 | 100 --------------------------- |CSE 300 |
1st Approach: Query each time interval Good pts: Each line will contain several of the classes Bad pts : Classes could be of differing length. With this approach, I cant mark when a class is over - and have it coordinate with where it is when it is first appears. eg. the begining marker and the ending marker could be on different lines. 2nd Approach: One Query where a column is created for each time interval Good pts: I can mark when a class begins and ends on the same line. Bad pts: A separate line for each course. Any suggestions on the best approach? Thanks in advance Mary Susan Jones msjones_at_eng.auburn.edu