Re: ORA-09872

From: Steve Essery <sessery_at_lucifer>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 1993 13:02:42 GMT

showie_at_uoguelph.ca (Steve Howie) writes:
: Steve Howie (showie_at_uoguelph.ca) wrote:
:
: : Anyone know what this message means? I get it trying to start up an
: : instance of a V7 database. Since Oracle saw fit to put the explanation of
: : this message in a manual I don't have ("Please refer to .. blah blah"),
: : could someone explain it to me? I think it refers to the Oracle Server
: : for Unix Error Messages and Codes manual.

: : Thanx,
:
: Sorry, that message should have been ORA-09782

Typically this caused by the presence of a symbolic link in the path to $ORACLE_HOME. Check the control file's idea of what ORACLE_HOME is compared to the value enviroment variable.

ie

od -c ctrl1V7013.ctl | head

You should see the db name and the path to ORACLE_HOME, and the path won't be the same as the value of ORACLE_HOME. Try setting ORACLE_HOME to be the same as the value in the control file (typically this is the actual path to ORACLE_HOME and not the path seen via the symbolic link)

--
Steve Essery      Life is like a Merry-Go-Round, it        sessery_at_uk.oracle.com
                 has its Ups and Downs and you never