Cloning an ORACLE6 database on VMS ?

From: <stoehr_at_embl-heidelberg.de>
Date: 9 Sep 93 20:34:59 +0100

I would like a quick way to take snapshot copy of an ORACLE6 database under VMS, for purposes of building a flat-file dump for distribution. With ORACLE5 we used to just stop the 'production' database, copy the database files somewhere, then just warm start another database with a different pointing at these copied files. Downtime on the production database was just the time taken to copy the database files disk to disk (approx. 1 hour).

Does anyone have a good strategy for this under ORACLE6 ? The SID and actual database files names (not just logical names) seem more embedded now in the ORACLE control files, unless I'm reading the documentation wrong...

Peter Stoehr
European Molecular Biology Laboratory
stoehr_at_embl-heidelberg.de Received on Thu Sep 09 1993 - 21:34:59 CEST

Original text of this message