Re: Accessing Oracle Server through VB 3.0 for Windows

From: Pundarik Ranchod <g89r4281_at_alpha.ru.ac.za>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 1993 08:33:44 GMT

In <CD00zA.4JL_at_gremlin.nrtc.northrop.com> maurit_at_world.nad.northrop.com (Mark Aurit) writes:

>In article <g89r4281.747397097_at_alpha.ru.ac.za> g89r4281_at_alpha.ru.ac.za (Pundarik Ranchod) writes:
>>I am trying to access our Oracle Server (version 6) which is installed
>>on a SUN from Visual Basic 3.0 for Windows.
>>SQL*Net for DOS has already been installed and works perfectly under FTP Inc.
>How do you know it does? To my knowledge there are no ping-like utilities
>to show it is working. Unless you were able to make it work with
>SQL*PLUS, perhaps?

Yes, I have used SQL*PLUS to check if everything works as advertised.

>>The ORACLE.TXT file mentions SQL*Net for Windows ver 1.1.7.5. Do I now
>>need to purchase this product ? Is there no way that SQL*Net for DOS will
>>work under Windows.
>We were able to most of our Windows apps to work with SQL*NET for DOS,
>but a couple required the Windows product. Just like SQL*NET for DOS,
>its a bitch to set-up.

>While we havent tried with VB, we have with the following Windows
>products: Clear Access, DataPrism, Realizer, GQL, and PowerBuilder.

>There are so many things to check: your CONFIG= in autoexec.bat,
>parameters in config.ora, SERVICES file for FTP. If you want to
>send me copies of those (plus your config.sys) Ill be glad to
>have a look.

Thanks for your help. I think it would be better if you could send me all your setup files (config.sys, config.ora, services and autoexec.bat, plus any Windows specific files), I could then compare my setup with a working version. If I have any problems I could then contact you, with specific questions.

Maybe this could go into a FAQ. Anyway please email me at :

g89r4281_at_alpha.ru.ac.za OR pranch_at_sunbird.ru.ac.za

Thanks again for your time.

Cheers,
Pundarik

--
* Pundarik Ranchhod               |       pranch_at_sunbird.ru.ac.za
* Dept. of Information Systems    |       g89r4281_at_alpha.ru.ac.za