SQL*Loader problems/question

From: JMILLAR_at_DELPHI.COM <(JMILLAR_at_DELPHI.COM)>
Date: 4 Sep 1993 17:18:38 -0400

Hello!

I'm an Oracle novice having problems using SQL*Loader. I'm attempting to read records from a file which is stored with no delimiters and no carriage returns or newlines. In other words, the records are stored contiguously, with nothing to seperate the beginning and end of the records (no newlines, delimiters, or carriage returns). When I attempt to read in the records using the following model:

SQL*Plus script                    SQL*Loader control file
---------------                    -----------------------

create table example               LOAD DATA
(a   number(2),                    INFILE 'example.file'
b    char(25),                     DISCARDFILE 'example.dsc'
c    number,                       DISCARDMAX 999
d    number);                      REPLACE
                                   INTO TABLE example
                                   (a POSITION(1) SMALLINT,
                                    b POSITION(3:27) CHAR,
                                    c POSITION(29) INTEGER,
                                    d POSITION(33) INTEGER)

the first record is read in perfectly, the next record returns garbage, and the rest of the records are ignored. I've attempted to specify the length of the records in bytes using the:

INFILE 'example.file' "RECSIZE=36 BUFFERS=xxx"

command, but SQL*Loader then refuses to read the file at all. I know the RECSIZE and BUFFERS arguments are system specific variables, but I can't locate the source to tell me which variables I should be using, with these being the only examples I have to work with. I'm using Oracle 7.x.x on SUN workstations, if that's any help in either identifying the problem, or the system variables that I should be using.

I would _greatly_ appreciate help with this problem! Thanks for your time. If possible, send me via e-mail, as I don't have access to usenet very often........

-Jay Millar jmillar_at_delphi.com   Received on Sat Sep 04 1993 - 23:18:38 CEST

Original text of this message