DBA FAQ 6 - TUSC is to ethics...

From: Scott Tiger <kml_at_cellar.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1993 12:32:11 GMT

TUSC is to ETHICS as OIL is to _____.

Follow the bouncing copyright infringement!

Sep 92 - The first DBA FAQ, on backup strategies, written by me,

        shows up in comp.databases.oracle.
Oct 92 - Tom Sheridan of TUSC (a consulting company that pretty

	much runs the MidWest Oracle Users Group) contacts me
	to see if they can run the backups FAQ in their mag.  I
	assent, on the condition that I get editing approval, as the
	original FAQ was not written for printed publication.
	I get no response.
Fall 92 - Vol 3 No. 4 of the MOUG newsletter comes out.  It
	includes the backups article, pretty much as it was originally
	written, with no editing.  A friend sends me a copy.  I opt
	to leave it out of the "Publications" list in my resume.
Summer 93 - ORACLE magazine's summer issue features the backups
	article that I have re-written for publication.  ORACLE owns
	the copyright to that article.
Fall 93 - The Abstracts catalog for the IOUW shows up.  Guess who's
	giving a talk?  Richard Niemic of TUSC, president of the
	MOUG.  Guess what the topic is: "WHICH BACKUP PLAN
	WILL SAVE ME?"  The abstract:  "Many DBAs and developers
	are not familiar with all of the possibilities that are available
	concerning data recovery.  This presentation will cover
	all types of database backups.  The primary focus will be
	on: export and import; imcremental export and import;
	archiving; image backups; and hot and cold backup.  The time
	and storage costs of each topic will be discussed."

GEEZ, RICH, WHERE DID YOU EVER GET THE IDEA????!!!! (Wouldn't you know it, I'm presenting at the same time. Would somebody mind showing up and asking Rich what he knows about copyright infringement and plagiarism?)

::::::::::     ::    ::        :::::Alself me to myduce introlow
 Scott/::: ::::::< ::::: . :::::::::kml_at_cellar.org
::Tiger::::::::::    :: ::: ::::::::Damn the electric fence!