Q: [Help] PC to Oracle Server over phone lines

From: Neil Greene <neil_at_kynug.org>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1993 19:17:07 GMT

I am sure someone has tackled this solution before, maybe someone can offer some suggestions and point me the correct direction.

CURRENT ENVIRONMENT We have an Oracle server running on a NeXTcube (BSD 4.3) in Lexington, KY. Don't flame me on the server selection, it was a proof of concept and being moved to a SPARC-10. The server is connected to Tymnet's global network, allowing members to dial a local number in their area to access my server via an X25 network.

NEEDED ENVIRONMENT We have a new client in Birmingham, AL that is installing a local Microsoft Access database on their PCees. MA has SQL extensions and will connect to an Oracle database. This database is local; but, needs to be allowed to send/receive SQL request, via the phone, to my Oracle server in Lexington, KY.

POSSIBLE SOLUTIONS What are my possible solutions for integrating this environment?

I am currently looking into SQL*Async for the PCees. I was told by Oracle this also comes with SQL*Net for async dial up sql requests. Any suggestions??

--
Neil Greene
President, benchMark Developments, Inc. [NeXT VAR]