Re: OPTIMUM DISK PARTITIONING

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_dlogics>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 1993 12:25:24

kulin_at_cse.unsw.edu.au (Kulin Contractor) writes:
> I have got a new server for the database which has 2 disks of 1GByte each.
> Could anyone recommend how I should partition my disks so as to minimise
> the read write or for an increased performance ?

Reasonable suggestions for allocating disk resources will be found in the book _Oracle7_Server_Administrator's_Guide_, part number 6694-70-1292, in chapter 7 "Managing the size and files of the database", especially pages 3 and 4. You will have received this book with your initial order of software.

Basically, you try to place files so that operations that tend to be simultaneous are not on the same physical drive. Log files are placed separately from the tablespace files as a minimum. If you have more drives you can separate data dictionary, rollback, temporary, and index tablespaces to keep the disk heads settled over currently-accessed tracks. That's how we do it.

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc