Re: Index question

From: J.Plewe <plewe_at_dl.mpi-dortmund.mpg.de>
Date: Wed, 1 Sep 1993 11:23:22 GMT

Hans Kristian Ruud (hkr_at_ifi.uio.no) wrote:
: I just got asked the following question:

: Suppose one has a table with a CHAR column. This column will contain both
: uppercase and lowercase text. Is it possible to put an index on the value of
: UPPER(field), rather than on the field itself?

I don't believe you can. Even worse: if you select with e.g.

        .... and upper( charcol ) = 'HALLO'

Oracle will not use any index!

Perhaps you can create a further column holding the uppercase string?

  • Joerg