Re: Oracle's use of tablespaces

From: Seth Grimes <grimes_at_access.digex.net>
Date: 30 Aug 1993 17:05:29 -0400

lparsons_at_exlog.com (Lee Parsons) writes:

>What of it, doesn't Unix have a limit on the size of a file? If you hit
>the ? gigabyte limit on a unix file is it reasonable to say. Shit, Why
>can't I just up the limit?!

>You dont have to create the table or tablespace with MAXEXTENTS set to
>the MAX. In fact it is very reasonable to set it much lower so that
>when your file approaches the hardlimit you can increase the PCTINCREASE
>and keep it from hitting that limit. Isn't that the same as Upping
>the Quota?

You don't see what I'm getting at. I have not problem with Oracle taking the space it needs to perform a function, or with limiting a user or a function to a certain quota of space. What I object to is having to reserve the space to Oracle whether it needs the space at a particular time or not. I want unused space to revert to OS control so it can be used, presumably temporarily, for other purposes.

                        Seth Received on Mon Aug 30 1993 - 23:05:29 CEST

Original text of this message