Index question

From: Hans Kristian Ruud <hkr_at_ifi.uio.no>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1993 15:58:30 GMT

I just got asked the following question:

Suppose one has a table with a CHAR column. This column will contain both uppercase and lowercase text. Is it possible to put an index on the value of UPPER(field), rather than on the field itself?

My belief is that it is not possible to do so, however, I would like the opinion of the net.

Paa forhaand takk! (Thanks in advance)

Hans Kristian

  • Along the meandering road The noble art *
  • travels the weary nematode, of losing face *
  • heeding the call of the small intestine, may one day save *
  • seeking a place in the colon to rest in. the human race *