Re: QUESTION about SQL*NET for windows

From: Mark Stern <M.W.Stern_at_massey.ac.nz>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1993 03:44:53 GMT

In article <sjsCCDu1I.9q6_at_netcom.com> sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow) writes:
>Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
>From: sjs_at_netcom.com (Stephen Schow)
>Subject: QUESTION about SQL*NET for windows
>Date: Thu, 26 Aug 1993 19:56:05 GMT

>Does anyone know which TCP drivers are needed or work with SQL*NET? I am
>just getting into Windows and so I'm a bit ignorant. I also want to use
>those TCP drivers with other products. For example, I would like to try
>qvtnet or some other term emulator that will work with the same TCP drivers.

>Thanks in advance
>--
>Steve Schow | But you don't have to use the claw, if you
>sjs_at_netcom.com | pick the pear with the big paw paw......
>(415) 354-4908 | Have I given you a clue......?
> | - Baloo the Bear

Go with anything that is WINSOCK compliant. SQL*Net supports WINSOCK, even the WINSOCK from some of the suppliers they support directly. For instance I am using SQL*Net with FTP's PC/TCP not directly as suggested (and supported?) by Oracle, but by using the WINSOCK that comes with PC/TCP (well actually the latest WOCKSOCK.DLL downloaded from their ftp site).

Also I can run other WINSOCK software, for instance the NewsReader TRUMPET I am sending this with. Great eh!

Gets better! See, if I get sick of PC/TCP or I want to develop an Orcale system for a client who doesn't want or need a full suit of Internet goodies (ftp, telnet, etc) then I can use a WINSOCK from any other supplier. Peter Tatum has written a shareware WINSOCK (pretty neat too I must add) that is currently in Beta or something. I also saw some talk of a PD Winsock being developed.

Of couse this only applies if you wish to embrace Windows as your environment of choice.

Regards

Mark Stern
Massey University
New Zealand
M.W.Stern_at_massey.ac.nz Received on Fri Aug 27 1993 - 05:44:53 CEST

Original text of this message