2 p-commits & broken comms

From: Ian Parkin <iparkin_at_iris.bt.co.uk>
Date: 26 Aug 93 15:48:31 GMT

Does anyone have any experience of 2 phase commits and /or snapshots between 2 remote databases when the communications between the two is broken.

We have two V7 instances sitting on 2 Sun machines linked via an ethernet link. I have a 2 phase commit between them using AFTER ON-DATABASE triggers. All is well when the 2 instances can talk to each other, however when I unplug the ethernet cable it takes approx 5-6 minutes for Oracle to realise that there is a network problem and raise an exception.

The application that we are running is forms-based, so this results in the users screen/form locking up for the 5-6 minutes with the normal "working message .." appearing. I was hoping to get this 'timeout' period down to something a little more reasonable. To this end we have used the following in our init.ora file :-

open_links = 20
distributed_recovery_connection_hold_time = 10 distributed_lock_timeout = 10

However this seems to have had no effect as it still takes 5-6 minutes for Oracle to raise an exception.

I have contacted Oracle who say they are dependent on the inet sockets timing out, I have contacted Sun who helped me determine that our sockets should time out after 60 seconds, I have contacted Oracle again and am still waiting to hear from them.

So has anyone had any experience of this sort of thing ? Received on Thu Aug 26 1993 - 17:48:31 CEST

Original text of this message