Re: Key Map File

From: <hansenb_at_grove.ops.lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 93 17:53:22 GMT

The key map situation you have described sounds similar to problems we had at our site. Our users have many devices (PC's, MAC's, etc.) with VT terminal emulation running character mode forms. With all this variety it was difficult to find the standard Oracle function keys. We developed a key map using Oracle*terminal that worked the same on almost all VT emulators. We started with the assumption that PF1-PF4 were "easy" to find on even the lowliest VT emulator. Using PF1 in combination with letters, we created a keymap that is fairly device independent (for VT emulation at least). The main issue was that users and developers could run forms from any device and not be lost.

Some examples of the mapping:

	PF1 E - Enter Query
	PF1 Q - Execute Query
	PF1 A - Add or Insert
	PF1 D - Delete or Remove
	PF1 C Q - Count Query
	PF2 - Menu (Pull-down)
	PF3 - Commit
	PF4 - Exit

Of course all letters combinations aren't as meaningful as this, but we made the major functions somewhat logical. Of course most of these issues will go away when using Forms 4.0 and rodents. :) Received on Wed Aug 25 1993 - 19:53:22 CEST

Original text of this message