VLDB: call for FAQ contributions

From: Thomas Cox <tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com>
Date: 24 Aug 93 13:34:56 GMT

I am collecting questions for a Frequently Asked Questions [FAQ] listing on the topic of Very Large Data Bases [VLDB].

For now I'm saying a database is 'Very Large' if it exceeds _either_ one gigabyte in total data size _or_ one million rows. [This is a smaller threshold than most VLDB definitions, but I want to include as many people in the data gathering portion.]

Issues I expect to cover include OLTP, Decision Support, and Mixed Use considerations; Indexing large tables; Compression; Clustering; Disk Striping and I/O Load Balancing; BLOB support; SQL extensions. We will probably touch application areas like multimedia, OODBMSes, Geographic Info Systems, Satellite Image storage, and Document Imaging Systems.

I _do_ expect to include overviews of commercial products and vendor contact information.

The FAQ will not be restricted to Relational systems. Any DBMS is fair game. Yes, even IMS. ;-)

Please mail to me your questions, comments, answers, FAQs, snippets, definitions, and accumulated wisdom. I will post a summary 30 days from the date of this posting, and an updated summary one to two months after that.

PLEASE E-MAIL ONLY. News has been unreliable at my site recently and everything expires within a week, sometimes less. If you post a followup, I cannot guarantee I'll see it or include it.

If you want to post a followup and you _don't_ care whether I include it in the summary, note that followups have been directed to comp.databases _only_. (If someone can suggest a more appropriate newsgroup, please do.)

The address to use for submissions is:

        tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com

or you could phone me up at:

        503-590-0125

or send me snail mail at:

	Moss Consulting Group Inc.
	1001 SW Fifth Avenue, Suite 1100
	Portland, OR  97204

 -Tom Cox
--
Thomas Cox      DoD #1776   '91 CB 750 Nighthawk   tcox_at_qiclab.scn.rain.com

    Worldcon: Arkham in '98. Received on Tue Aug 24 1993 - 15:34:56 CEST

Original text of this message