Re: Need info on best ORACLE books !

From: Daniel B. Bikle <dbikle_at_cco.caltech.edu>
Date: 21 Aug 1993 19:11:14 GMT

tjioe_at_lewis.sfsu.edu (Jong Tjioe) writes:

>Hi..
>I need recommendation about the best books on ORACLE.

>I am sorry if this topic has been discussed before.
>Thanks,

>Jong
>tjioe_at_lewis.sfsu.edu

Jong,

One that I like is _Mastering Oracle_ by Daniel Cronin and Joe Lee.

It does a good job of describing the stages of a development project for a video store. It gives a good general view of how Oracle can be used to develop an application.

If you need specific information (Performance Tuning Oracle for UNIX systems for example) _Mastering Oracle_ does not contain sufficient depth.

Drawbacks:

All forms examples are based on forms 2.3 rather than forms 3.0.

George Koch:
A good reference for the DBA, App Developer are the V6 and Oracle7 by George Koch. His Oracle7 book, however, was a disappointment; it seemed a bit skimpy on the Oracle7 topics. He put in a chapter at the end of the book on Oracle7 which is about 15 pages long. Compare that with Oracle7 documentation from Oracle which WEIGHS about 15 lbs.

O'Reilly & Associates, Peter Corrigan, Mark Gurry: These folks have put together _ORACLE Performance Tuning_. I have great respect for all O'Reilly & Associates publications and although I've not yet read _ORACLE Performance Tuning_, I'm sure it will be a great resource to the DBA, App Developer who builds large Oracle based applications.
Their # 800/998-9938

_Dan's Oracle7 Guide_ :
I'm working on this book. It's about 20% done. I'll make it available in a few months as I get more done. I'm keeping track of people who want to see it.

Here's something I posted to the net awhile ago:

> I'm writing a book about running ORACLE7 on UNIX.
>
> I'll probably divide it into two parts:
>
> Database Administration
> Application Development
>
> At first, I will market my book to be a piece of online documentation
> rather than a book on the shelf. When my customers find what they
> want in my book, they just use a mouse to copy it into a file and then
> work on it. Therefore it will be in plain ASCII rather than something
> fancy like AnswerBook.
>
> It's my hope that the book will be "cram-packed" full of examples.
>
> If you can think of any examples you would like to see, let me know.
> If you have any examples you would like to place in my book, let me
> know I'll give you due credit.
>
> The first few drafts of the book will be free. If you control an ftp
> site and want to help me distribute the book let me know. I'm writing
> the book as a training exercise for me rather than an attempt to make
> money. Currently, I get all of my income from consulting. You will
> see my resume in misc.jobs.resumes once in awhile.

Daniel B. Bikle
Independent Oracle Consultant
dbikle_at_alumni.caltech.edu
415/854-9542