Problems installing Oracle 7.0.9 on Sparc 10 (sun4m arch)

From: Tim Bunce <timbo_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1993 18:54:19 +0000

After a standard install, when starting up we get:

  ORA-07331: smsnsg: unable to alloc the variable portion of the SGA   Additional information: 4

We do have all the IPC options enabled in the kernel. Everything else seems fine.

Any ideas?

I know that the sun4m architecture has a different kernel base address. Ingres has an environment variable that you can change to account for this. Oracle has a ksms.s file with a _sgabeg symbol set to 0xf1000000. The genksms program does not offer a different value but the tstshm program suggests that it should.

I'd be grateful for a quick pointer to the problem before going through Oracle tech support.

Thanks.

Tim Bunce. Received on Wed Aug 18 1993 - 20:54:19 CEST

Original text of this message